The Service Club of Milwaukee was organized during the Fall of 1910 by the late Mrs. Walter Dake at the request of her daughter, the late Mrs. Thomas S. Van Alyea, and was modeled after the Chicago Service Club, of which Mrs. Dake was a member.
SCM’s Charter members, Lorraine Albright, Elizabeth Bacon, Mary R. Boyd, Isabel Earling, Margaret M. Fitch, Elizabeth Fyee, Contance Mariner, Helen M. Philips, and Alcy Sivyer, wished to create an organization whose sole purpose was to serve the greater community.
Since its founding, the work of SCM has been to provide service and financial aid to worthwhile agencies that depend on the greater community for such support.
The fourteenth of November 1945 was the day on which The Service Club of Milwaukee was incorporated in Wisconsin. In December of 1945, Mrs. Walter Dake was elected an honorary Life Member of the Service Club, after years of thoughtful assistance to the acting Boards.